Subject: [PATCH v2 03/15] add, reset: ensure submodules can be added or reset

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:19:48 -0700

Commit aee9c7d65 (Submodules: Add the new "ignore" config option for
diff and status) introduced the ignore configuration option for
submodules so that configured submodules could be omitted from the
status and diff commands.  Because this flag is respected in the diff
machinery it has the unintended consequence of potentially prohibiting
users from adding or resetting a submodule, even when a path to the
submodule is explicitly given.

Ensure that submodules can be added or set, even if they are configured
to be ignored, by setting the `DIFF_OPT_OVERRIDE_SUBMODULE_CONFIG` diff
flag.

Signed-off-by: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
---
 builtin/add.c   | 1 +
 builtin/reset.c | 1 +
 2 files changed, 2 insertions(+)

diff --git a/builtin/add.c b/builtin/add.c
index e888fb8c5..6f271512f 100644
--- a/builtin/add.c
+++ b/builtin/add.c
@@ -116,6 +116,7 @@ int add_files_to_cache(const char *prefix,
 	rev.diffopt.output_format = DIFF_FORMAT_CALLBACK;
 	rev.diffopt.format_callback = update_callback;
 	rev.diffopt.format_callback_data = &data;
+	rev.diffopt.flags |= DIFF_OPT_OVERRIDE_SUBMODULE_CONFIG;
 	rev.max_count = 0; /* do not compare unmerged paths with stage #2 */
 	run_diff_files(&rev, DIFF_RACY_IS_MODIFIED);
 	return !!data.add_errors;
diff --git a/builtin/reset.c b/builtin/reset.c
index 046403ed6..772d078b8 100644
--- a/builtin/reset.c
+++ b/builtin/reset.c
@@ -156,6 +156,7 @@ static int read_from_tree(const struct pathspec *pathspec,
 	opt.output_format = DIFF_FORMAT_CALLBACK;
 	opt.format_callback = update_index_from_diff;
 	opt.format_callback_data = &intent_to_add;
+	opt.flags |= DIFF_OPT_OVERRIDE_SUBMODULE_CONFIG;
 
 	if (do_diff_cache(tree_oid, &opt))
 		return 1;
-- 
2.14.0.rc1.383.gd1ce394fe2-goog