Subject: [GSoC][PATCH 10/13] submodule foreach: document '$sm_path' instead of '$path'

From: Prathamesh Chavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 02:48:57 +0530

As using a variable '$path' may be harmful to users due to
capitalization issues, see 64394e3ae9 (git-submodule.sh: Don't
use $path variable in eval_gettext string, 2012-04-17). Adjust
the documentation to advocate for using $sm_path,  which contains
the same value. We still make the 'path' variable available and
document it as a deprecated synonym of 'sm_path'.

Discussed-with: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Stefan Beller <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Prathamesh Chavan <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-submodule.txt | 10 ++++++----
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-submodule.txt b/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
index ff612001d..a23baef62 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
@@ -183,12 +183,14 @@ information too.
 
 foreach [--recursive] <command>::
 	Evaluates an arbitrary shell command in each checked out submodule.
-	The command has access to the variables $name, $path, $sha1 and
+	The command has access to the variables $name, $sm_path, $sha1 and
 	$toplevel:
 	$name is the name of the relevant submodule section in `.gitmodules`,
-	$path is the name of the submodule directory relative to the
-	superproject, $sha1 is the commit as recorded in the superproject,
-	and $toplevel is the absolute path to the top-level of the superproject.
+	$sm_path is the path of the submodule as recorded in the superproject,
+	$sha1 is the commit as recorded in the superproject, and
+	$toplevel is the absolute path to the top-level of the superproject.
+	Note that to avoid conflicts with '$PATH' on Windows, the '$path'
+	variable is now a deprecated synonym of '$sm_path' variable.
 	Any submodules defined in the superproject but not checked out are
 	ignored by this command. Unless given `--quiet`, foreach prints the name
 	of each submodule before evaluating the command.
-- 
2.13.0