Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add 'raw' blob_plain link in history overview

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 21:35:20 +0200

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 12:22:43PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Job Snijders <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Add 'raw' blob_plain link in history overview
> >
> > Reviewed-by: Giuseppe Bilotta <[email-masked]>
> > Signed-off-by: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
> >
> > ---
> 
> Thanks; I somehow thought that your earlier one not just said what
> it does (twice---that is not needed) but why this change is useful,
> but that is lost in the patch description?

We often work with very large plain text files in our repositories and
found it friendlier to the users if we can click directly to the raw
version of such files.

Without this patch the workflow is to go to the history of a file, click
the 'blob' link, and then click the 'raw' link. If the file is large
(multiple megabytes) - rendering the html enveloppe to the blob can take
quite some time in the browser DOM rendering. 

This patch adds a 'raw' blob_plain link in history overview so you can
immediately click to the 'raw' version, saving time and improving
workflow.

Here is a screenshot of a gitweb instance with this patch applied:

    http://instituut.net/~job/screenshots/b0f30e21eb64d5dda75ddabd.png

Kind regards,

Job