Subject: [PATCH] Documentation: mention that `eol` can change the dirty status of paths

From: Ben Boeckel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 17:17:41 -0400

When setting the `eol` attribute, paths can change their dirty status
without any change in the working directory. This can cause confusion
and should at least be mentioned with a remedy.

Signed-off-by: Ben Boeckel <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/gitattributes.txt | 6 +++++-
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/gitattributes.txt b/Documentation/gitattributes.txt
index c4f2be2..3044b71 100644
--- a/Documentation/gitattributes.txt
+++ b/Documentation/gitattributes.txt
@@ -151,7 +151,11 @@ unspecified.
 
 This attribute sets a specific line-ending style to be used in the
 working directory.  It enables end-of-line conversion without any
-content checks, effectively setting the `text` attribute.
+content checks, effectively setting the `text` attribute.  Note that
+setting this attribute on paths which are in the index with different
+line endings than the attribute indicates the paths to be considered
+dirty.  Adding the path to the index again will normalize the line
+endings in the index.
 
 Set to string value "crlf"::
 
-- 
2.9.5