Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 08/12] fsmonitor: add a test tool to dump the index extension

From: Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:16:26 +0200

> 
> Should I just make the variable type itself uintmax_t and then just skip
> the cast altogether? I went with uint64_t because that is what
> getnanotime returned.
> 

That is a bit of taste question (or answer)

Typically you declare the variables in the type you need,
and this is uint64_t.

Let's step back a bit:
To print e.g a variable of type uint32_t, you use  PRIu32 in the format
string, like this:

fprintf(stderr, "Total %"PRIu32" (delta %"PRIu32"),",....

In theory (it is in the later specs, and it exists on many platforms),
there is a PRIu64 as well.

We don't seem to use it in Git, probably because uintmax_t is (more)
portable and understood by all platforms which support Git.
(And beside that, on most platforms uintmax_t is 64 bit).

So my suggestion would be to keep uint64_t and cast the variable into uintmax_t
whenever it is printed.