Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/1] mention git stash push first in the man page

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:45:15 +0100

On 10/17, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 09:10:29PM +0100, Thomas Gummerer wrote:
> 
> > Because 'stash push' and 'stash save' are so closely related they share one
> > section in the man page.  Currently 'stash save' comes first, as that
> > was the command that people were historically using.  However this makes
> > the newer, more feature rich git stash push very easy to overlook.
> > Change the order to give the newer interface for creating a stash the
> > more prominent position.
> 
> Seems reasonable, though if we are deprecating "save" should we demote
> it from being in the synopsis entirely?

I saw that as a next step, with the "official" deprecation of "save".
I thought we might want to advertise "push" a bit more before actually
officially deprecating "save" and sending the deprecation notice out
in the release notes.

OTOH, dropping it from the synopsis in the man page probably wouldn't
cause much issue, as "push" directly replaces it, and is easily
visible.  Not sure how slow we want to take the deprecation?

> -Peff