Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/1] mention git stash push first in the man page

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 19:08:01 +0100

On 10/17, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:45:15PM +0100, Thomas Gummerer wrote:
> 
> > > Seems reasonable, though if we are deprecating "save" should we demote
> > > it from being in the synopsis entirely?
> > 
> > I saw that as a next step, with the "official" deprecation of "save".
> > I thought we might want to advertise "push" a bit more before actually
> > officially deprecating "save" and sending the deprecation notice out
> > in the release notes.
> 
> Right, my thinking was that it would still be documented in the manpage,
> just lower down. And that would probably say something like "save is a
> historical synonym for push, except that it differs in these ways...".
> 
> > OTOH, dropping it from the synopsis in the man page probably wouldn't
> > cause much issue, as "push" directly replaces it, and is easily
> > visible.  Not sure how slow we want to take the deprecation?
> 
> I don't think there's any reason to go slow in marking something as
> deprecated. It's the part where we follow up and remove or change the
> feature that must take a while.

Makes sense, let me drop it from the synopsis then.

Thanks!

> -Peff