Subject: [PATCH] merge-recursive: Handle addition of submodule on our side of history

From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 09:31:24 -0800

The code for a newly added path assumed that the path was a normal file,
and thus checked for there being a directory still being in the way of
the file.  Note that since unpack_trees() does path-in-the-way checks
already, the only way for there to be a directory in the way at this
point in the code, is if there is some kind of D/F conflict in the merge.

For a submodule addition on HEAD's side of history, the submodule would
have already been present.  This means that we do expect there to be a
directory present but should not consider it to be "in the way"; instead,
it's the expected submodule.  So, when there's a submodule addition from
HEAD's side, don't bother checking the working copy for a directory in
the way.

Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
---
This commit is based on top of sb/test-cherry-pick-submodule-getting-in-a-way.

 merge-recursive.c                | 5 +++--
 t/t3512-cherry-pick-submodule.sh | 2 +-
 2 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/merge-recursive.c b/merge-recursive.c
index 1d3f8f0d22..9fb0b9f8fd 100644
--- a/merge-recursive.c
+++ b/merge-recursive.c
@@ -1901,8 +1901,9 @@ static int process_entry(struct merge_options *o,
 			oid = b_oid;
 			conf = _("directory/file");
 		}
-		if (dir_in_way(path, !o->call_depth,
-			       S_ISGITLINK(a_mode))) {
+		if (dir_in_way(path,
+			       !o->call_depth && !S_ISGITLINK(a_mode),
+			       0)) {
 			char *new_path = unique_path(o, path, add_branch);
 			clean_merge = 0;
 			output(o, 1, _("CONFLICT (%s): There is a directory with name %s in %s. "
diff --git a/t/t3512-cherry-pick-submodule.sh b/t/t3512-cherry-pick-submodule.sh
index 1b1e31100f..ce48c4fcca 100755
--- a/t/t3512-cherry-pick-submodule.sh
+++ b/t/t3512-cherry-pick-submodule.sh
@@ -10,7 +10,7 @@ KNOWN_FAILURE_NOFF_MERGE_DOESNT_CREATE_EMPTY_SUBMODULE_DIR=1
 KNOWN_FAILURE_NOFF_MERGE_ATTEMPTS_TO_MERGE_REMOVED_SUBMODULE_FILES=1
 test_submodule_switch "git cherry-pick"
 
-test_expect_failure 'unrelated submodule/file conflict is ignored' '
+test_expect_success 'unrelated submodule/file conflict is ignored' '
 	test_create_repo sub &&
 
 	touch sub/file &&
-- 
2.15.0.2.g63e86ab1a0