Subject: Re: Bug in git-completion.bash in __git_heads() function

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 10:43:17 +0100

Hi,

>    This is the first time I am sending a bug report here, so if I have
> not met the criteria please let me know.
>    I found that at:
> https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash#L371,
> the usage of refname:strip=2 generates error:
> 
> fatal: unknown refname: format strip=2.
> 
> I am using git version 1.9.1. However using %(refname:short), I
> believe produces intended behaviour.

The for-each-ref format modifier ':strip=<N>' was introduced in
v2.7.1~15^2 (tag: do not show ambiguous tag names as "tags/foo",
2016-01-25) and the completion script started using it in
v2.13.0-rc0~46^2~8 (completion: don't disambiguate tags and branches,
2017-03-23).

It seems you're using an old Git with a recentish completion script.
You could either upgrade Git, or use the completion script that was
shipped with it.

Gábor