Subject: [PATCH v3 1/9] Documentation: move rebase.* configs to new file

From: Liam Beguin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 12:52:27 -0500

Move all rebase.* configuration variables to a separate file in order to
remove duplicates, and include it in config.txt and git-rebase.txt.  The
new descriptions are mostly taken from config.txt as they are more
verbose.

Signed-off-by: Liam Beguin <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/config.txt        | 31 +------------------------------
 Documentation/git-rebase.txt    | 19 +------------------
 Documentation/rebase-config.txt | 32 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 34 insertions(+), 48 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index 531649cb40ea..e424b7de90b5 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -2691,36 +2691,7 @@ push.recurseSubmodules::
 	is retained. You may override this configuration at time of push by
 	specifying '--recurse-submodules=check|on-demand|no'.
 
-rebase.stat::
-	Whether to show a diffstat of what changed upstream since the last
-	rebase. False by default.
-
-rebase.autoSquash::
-	If set to true enable `--autosquash` option by default.
-
-rebase.autoStash::
-	When set to true, automatically create a temporary stash entry
-	before the operation begins, and apply it after the operation
-	ends.  This means that you can run rebase on a dirty worktree.
-	However, use with care: the final stash application after a
-	successful rebase might result in non-trivial conflicts.
-	Defaults to false.
-
-rebase.missingCommitsCheck::
-	If set to "warn", git rebase -i will print a warning if some
-	commits are removed (e.g. a line was deleted), however the
-	rebase will still proceed. If set to "error", it will print
-	the previous warning and stop the rebase, 'git rebase
-	--edit-todo' can then be used to correct the error. If set to
-	"ignore", no checking is done.
-	To drop a commit without warning or error, use the `drop`
-	command in the todo-list.
-	Defaults to "ignore".
-
-rebase.instructionFormat::
-	A format string, as specified in linkgit:git-log[1], to be used for
-	the instruction list during an interactive rebase.  The format will automatically
-	have the long commit hash prepended to the format.
+include::rebase-config.txt[]
 
 receive.advertiseAtomic::
 	By default, git-receive-pack will advertise the atomic push
diff --git a/Documentation/git-rebase.txt b/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
index 3cedfb0fd22b..8a861c1e0d69 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
@@ -203,24 +203,7 @@ Alternatively, you can undo the 'git rebase' with
 CONFIGURATION
 -------------
 
-rebase.stat::
-	Whether to show a diffstat of what changed upstream since the last
-	rebase. False by default.
-
-rebase.autoSquash::
-	If set to true enable `--autosquash` option by default.
-
-rebase.autoStash::
-	If set to true enable `--autostash` option by default.
-
-rebase.missingCommitsCheck::
-	If set to "warn", print warnings about removed commits in
-	interactive mode. If set to "error", print the warnings and
-	stop the rebase. If set to "ignore", no checking is
-	done. "ignore" by default.
-
-rebase.instructionFormat::
-	Custom commit list format to use during an `--interactive` rebase.
+include::rebase-config.txt[]
 
 OPTIONS
 -------
diff --git a/Documentation/rebase-config.txt b/Documentation/rebase-config.txt
new file mode 100644
index 000000000000..dba088d7c68f
--- /dev/null
+++ b/Documentation/rebase-config.txt
@@ -0,0 +1,32 @@
+rebase.stat::
+	Whether to show a diffstat of what changed upstream since the last
+	rebase. False by default.
+
+rebase.autoSquash::
+	If set to true enable `--autosquash` option by default.
+
+rebase.autoStash::
+	When set to true, automatically create a temporary stash entry
+	before the operation begins, and apply it after the operation
+	ends.  This means that you can run rebase on a dirty worktree.
+	However, use with care: the final stash application after a
+	successful rebase might result in non-trivial conflicts.
+	This option can be overridden by the `--no-autostash` and
+	`--autostash` options of linkgit:git-rebase[1].
+	Defaults to false.
+
+rebase.missingCommitsCheck::
+	If set to "warn", git rebase -i will print a warning if some
+	commits are removed (e.g. a line was deleted), however the
+	rebase will still proceed. If set to "error", it will print
+	the previous warning and stop the rebase, 'git rebase
+	--edit-todo' can then be used to correct the error. If set to
+	"ignore", no checking is done.
+	To drop a commit without warning or error, use the `drop`
+	command in the todo-list.
+	Defaults to "ignore".
+
+rebase.instructionFormat::
+	A format string, as specified in linkgit:git-log[1], to be used for the
+	instruction list during an interactive rebase.  The format will
+	automatically have the long commit hash prepended to the format.
-- 
2.15.1.280.g10402c1f5b5c