Subject: [PATCH 0/4] travis-ci: clean up setting environment variables

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 00:34:42 +0100

(Was: [PATCH] travis-ci: fix running P4 and Git LFS tests in Linux build
jobs)

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:55 PM, SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> However, after these
> embedded scriptlets were moved into dedicated scripts executed in
> separate shell processes, any variable set in one of those scripts is
> only visible in that single script but not in any of the others.

> diff --git a/ci/install-dependencies.sh b/ci/install-dependencies.sh
> index a29246af3..5bd06fe90 100755
> --- a/ci/install-dependencies.sh
> +++ b/ci/install-dependencies.sh
> @@ -12,20 +12,18 @@ case "${TRAVIS_OS_NAME:-linux}" in
>  linux)
>         export GIT_TEST_HTTPD=YesPlease

Astute readers ;) might have been wondering what's the deal with this
environment variable in the patch context, since this won't have any
effect outside of this script, either.  Alas, it's not as easy as moving
setting GIT_TEST_HTTPD to 'ci/lib-travisci.sh', like the quoted patch
did with paths to P4 and Git LFS, because then it would be set for the 32
bit Linux build job which runs everything as root, thus can't run https
tests.

This patch series deals with this by adding means that 'ci/*' scripts
can use to identify which build job they are taking part in (patch 3),
and then setting environment variables in 'ci/lib-travisci.sh', where we
have now more freedom to set a specific variable only for specific build
jobs (patches 3 and 4).

This patch series conflicts with the last patch in Thomas' split index
fix series.

  https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

The conflict is not overly difficult, but to resolve it we should first
come up with a reasonable job name for that build job, e.g. something
like "misc-knobs" or whatever, because the combination
"GETTEXT_POISON-SPLIT_INDEX" is just too long to exist and won't scale
if we enable further knobs in the future.

SZEDER Gábor (4):
  travis-ci: use 'set -x' in 'ci/*' scripts for extra tracing output
  travis-ci: introduce a $jobname variable for 'ci/*' scripts
  travis-ci: move setting environment variables to 'ci/lib-travisci.sh'
  travis-ci: set GIT_TEST_HTTPD in 'ci/lib-travisci.sh'

 .travis.yml                | 26 +++++---------------------
 ci/install-dependencies.sh |  8 +++-----
 ci/lib-travisci.sh         | 34 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 3 files changed, 39 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)

-- 
2.15.1.421.gc469ca1de