Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] travis: run tests with GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 20:15:58 +0000

On 12/12, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Lars Schneider <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> You're right, it's my first time using travis CI and I got confused
> >> about how the .travis.yml works, thanks for catching that.  Will
> >> re-phrase the commit message.
> >
> > Szeder is spot on. If you fix up the message, then this patch looks
> > perfect! Pragmatic (= very good!) idea to combine GITTEXT_POISON with 
> > GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX :-)
> 
> I am failing to guess the real intent of the smiley here.
> 
> If split-index code is so easy to break, I do not think it is a good
> idea to combine it into the poison build.  In fact, the poison test
> is useless on a codebase where other/real breakages are expected to
> exist, because it is about seeing messages meant for non-humans are
> not passed to the _() mechanism by sloppy coding, and the way it
> does so is to corrupt all the messages that come through the _()
> mechanism.  If we do not even produce a message when a correct code
> _should_ produce one, poison test would catch nothing useful.

The breakages wen the split-index code fails tend to break things in
much more obvious manners than a wrong message, usually git ends up
dying if it gets broken.  Both of the bugs that were fixed here would
have been caught with the change in my patch.

But yeah I can see the argument that it doesn't give us a guarantee
that it catches all things the test suite could catch.

> I wonder if it makes more sense to update ci/run-tests.sh so that
> its final step is run twice with different settings, like so?

I kind of wanted to avoid that, because it ends up running the test
suite twice on travis for every test, which seems a bit overkill.  But
I don't exactly how worried we are about cycles on travis (I don't
check it very often personally, so I don't really know).  If we aren't
worried about cycles what you have below would certainly make sense.

>  ci/run-tests.sh | 1 +
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> 
> diff --git a/ci/run-tests.sh b/ci/run-tests.sh
> index f0c743de94..15a5f5a6cc 100755
> --- a/ci/run-tests.sh
> +++ b/ci/run-tests.sh
> @@ -8,3 +8,4 @@
>  mkdir -p $HOME/travis-cache
>  ln -s $HOME/travis-cache/.prove t/.prove
>  make --quiet test
> +GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX=LetsTryIt make --quiet test