Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Add --no-ahead-behind to status

From: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 14:42:41 +0000

From: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>

This patch series adds a "--no-ahead-behind" option to status
to request that it avoid a possibly expensive ahead/behind
computation for the current branch.  Instead, it just prints a
not up to date message in place of the detailed counts.

This idea was previously discussed in [1].  Working with the
enormous Windows repository, we found that 20+ seconds was being
spent in the ahead/behind computation when the current branch was
150K commits behind the upstream branch.  (Yes, this happens and
only took 3 weeks on the reporter's system.)

I've only modified "git status" in this patch series.  A similar
change could be added to "git branch -vv" and "git checkout" to
avoid delays there too.  I avoided doing it here to keep this
patch series focused.

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/T/

Jeff Hostetler (4):
  status: add --no-ahead-behind to porcelain V2
  stat_tracking_info: return +1 when branch and upstream differ
  status: update short status to use --no-ahead-behind
  status: support --no-ahead-behind in long status format.

 Documentation/config.txt     |  5 +++++
 Documentation/git-status.txt | 16 ++++++++++++++++
 builtin/checkout.c           |  2 +-
 builtin/commit.c             |  6 ++++++
 ref-filter.c                 |  4 ++--
 remote.c                     | 36 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
 remote.h                     |  4 +++-
 t/t6040-tracking-info.sh     | 42 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t7064-wtstatus-pv2.sh      | 23 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 wt-status.c                  | 24 ++++++++++++++++++++----
 wt-status.h                  |  1 +
 11 files changed, 147 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)

-- 
2.9.3