Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 2/3] Makefile: add Perl runtime prefix support

From: Dan Jacques <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 17:05:50 -0500

On 2018-01-08 20:27, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> > Maybe we covered this in previous submissions, but refresh my memory,
> > why is the *_PERL define still needed? Reading this explanation doesn't
> > make sense to me, but I'm probably missing something.
>
> If the reason is to accommodate Windows, I think it'd make more sense to
> change the way Git for Windows handles this, and use the same relative
> paths (if possible, that is, see the GITPERLLIB problems I mentioned
> elsewhere and which necessitated
> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/commit/3b2f716bd8).
> (...)
> What do you think? Should we just fold the RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL handling
> into RUNTIME_PREFIX and be done with that part?
> (...)
> As I mentioned in the mail I just finished and sent (I started it hours
> ago, but then got busy with other things while the builds were running): I
> am totally cool with changing this on Windows, too. Should simplify
> things, right?

No objections here. I see it as adding slightly more risk to this patch's
potential impact on Windows builds, but if Git-for-Windows is okay with that,
I'll go ahead and fold RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL into RUNTIME_PREFIX for
simplicity's sake.

I'll add a "NO_RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL" flag as per avarab@'s suggestion as a
potential mitigation if a problem does end up arising in Windows builds,
with a note that NO_RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL can be deleted if everything seems
to be working. What do you think?

> BTW I managed to run your `runtime-prefix` branch through VSTS builds on
> Windows, macOS and Linux and they all pass the test suite. (Including the
> RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL=YesPlease setting you added for Travis CI testing.)

Great news, thanks for doing this!