Subject: Re: [PATCH] send-email: Support separate Reply-To address

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:39:43 +0100

> In some projects contributions from groups are only accepted from a
> common group email address. But every individual may want to recieve
> replies to her own personal address. That's what we have 'Reply-To'
> headers for in SMTP.
> 
> Introduce an optional '--reply-to' command line option. Unfortunately
> the $reply_to variable name was already taken for the 'In-Reply-To'
> header field. To reduce code churn, use $reply_address as variable
> name instead.

That $reply_to variable is only accessed in 6 lines.  I wouldn't
consider it that much of a code churn to rename it in a preparatory
patch.

> Signed-off-by: Christian Ludwig <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/git-send-email.txt |  5 +++++
>  git-send-email.perl              | 18 +++++++++++++++++-
>  t/t9001-send-email.sh            |  2 ++
>  3 files changed, 24 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

Please add the new option to the completion script as well, to keep it
up to date.

> diff --git a/Documentation/git-send-email.txt b/Documentation/git-send-email.txt
> index 8060ea35c..c3bc622b1 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git-send-email.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-send-email.txt
> @@ -84,6 +84,11 @@ See the CONFIGURATION section for `sendemail.multiEdit`.
>  	the value of GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT, or GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT if that is not
>  	set, as returned by "git var -l".
>  
> +--reply-to=<address>::
> +	Specify the address that replies from reciepients should

s/reciepients/recipients/

And I don't like that "that" and would prefer e.g. "where" instead,
but I'd rather leave this to the native English speakers.

> +	to go. Use this if replies to messages should go to another

s/to go/go to/