Subject: [PATCH/RFC 0/2] Automate updating git-completion.bash a bit

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:36:58 +0700

I noticed --recurse-submodules was missing from git-grep complete
list. Then I found a couple more should be on the list as well and
many more in future may face the same faith. Perhaps this helps remedy
this situation?

This lets us extract certain information from git commands and feed it
directly to git-completion.bash. Now long options by default will
be complete-able (which also means it's the reviewer's and coder's
responsibility to add "no complete" flag appropriately) but I think
the number of new dangerous options will be much fewer than
completeable ones.

This is not really a new idea. Python has argcomplete that does more
or less the same thing.

This is just a proof of concept. More commands should be converted of
course if it's a good thing to do.

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (2):
  parse-options: support --git-completion-helper
  git-completion: use --git-completion-helper

 builtin/grep.c                         | 13 +++++++-----
 contrib/completion/git-completion.bash | 16 +--------------
 parse-options.c                        | 37 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 parse-options.h                        | 14 ++++++++-----
 4 files changed, 55 insertions(+), 25 deletions(-)

-- 
2.15.1.600.g899a5f85c6