Subject: Re: Fetch-hooks

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 11:30:40 -0400

Leo Gaspard wrote:
> That said, I just came upon [1] (esp. the description [2] and the patch
> [3]), and wondered: it looks like the patch was abandoned midway in
> favor of a hook refactoring. Would you happen to know whether the hook
> refactoring eventually took place, and/or whether this patch was
> resubmitted later, and/or whether it would still be possible to merge
> this now? (not having any experience with git's internals yet, I don't
> really know whether these are stupid questions or not)
> 
> PS: Cc'ing Joey, as you most likely know best what eventually happened,
> if you can remember it?

I don't remember it well, but reviewing the thread, I think it foundered
on this comment by Junio:

> That use case sounds like that "git fetch" is called as a first class UI,
> which is covered by "git myfetch" (you can call it "git annex fetch")
> wrapper approach, the canonical example of a hook that we explicitly do
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> not want to add.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

While I still think a fetch hook would be a good idea for reasons of
composability, I then just went off and implemented such a wrapper for
my own particular use case, and the wrapper program then grew to cover
use cases that a hook would not have been able to cover, so ...

-- 
see shy jo