Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Teach 'test_must_fail' to save the command's stderr to a file

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 03:42:32 +0100

To check that a git command fails with the expected error message, we 
usually execute a command like this:
        
  test_must_fail git command --option 2>output.err
	          
Alas, this command doesn't limit the redirection to the git command,
but it redirects the standard error of the 'test_must_fail' helper
function as well, causing various issues discussed in detail in the
second patch.  Therefore that patch introduces the 'test_must_fail
stderr=<file>' option to save the executed git command's standard
error to the given file.

The last patch converts one test script to use 'test_must_fail
stderr=<file>' to demonstrate its benefits: thereafter that script
will succeed with '-x'.  There are plenty more places to convert:

  $ git grep -E 'test_(must|might)_fail .* 2>' t/*.sh |wc -l
  430
  $ git grep --name-only -E 'test_(must|might)_fail .* 2>' t/*.sh |wc -l
  135

... and this doesn't even count commands spanning more lines, and
there are more in 'pu'.

I didn't convert more test scripts, because it's boring ;) but more
importantly because it could give us 135+ GSoC micro projects.

SZEDER Gábor (3):
  t: document 'test_must_fail ok=<signal-name>'
  t: teach 'test_must_fail' to save the command's stderr to a file
  t1404: use 'test_must_fail stderr=<file>'

 t/README                     | 20 +++++++++++++++++--
 t/t1404-update-ref-errors.sh | 46 ++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------
 t/test-lib-functions.sh      | 45 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------
 3 files changed, 76 insertions(+), 35 deletions(-)

-- 
2.16.1.180.g07550b0b1b