Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/8] perl: update our ancient copy of Error.pm

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 15:03:59 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> The Error.pm shipped with Git as a fallback if there was no Error.pm
> on the system was released in April 2006, there's been dozens of
> releases since then, the latest at August 7, 2017, let's update to
> that.

Comma splices:
 s/, there's/. There's/
 s/, let's/. Let's/

The one piece of information I was curious about that this (quite clear,
thank you) commit message is missing is what changed in the intervening
time.  Is this just about keeping up with upstream to make it easy to
keep up later, or has upstream made any useful changes?  E.g. did any
API or behaviors get better?

Related: do we have to worry about in-tree users taking advantage of
improved API and packagers forgetting to add a dependency on the new
version?  Do we declare the minimal required Error.pm version somewhere
(e.g. in the INSTALL file)?

[...]
>  perl/Git/FromCPAN/.gitattributes |   1 +
>  perl/Git/FromCPAN/Error.pm       | 296 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------
>  2 files changed, 256 insertions(+), 41 deletions(-)
>  create mode 100644 perl/Git/FromCPAN/.gitattributes

Most of the added lines are documentation, so this diffstat doesn't look
half-bad.

Thanks for writing it.

Jonathan