Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Fix initializing the_hash_algo

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 22:47:49 +0000

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 04:56:38PM +0700, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
> I can certainly try! I start to remember all the hairy details in that
> setup code.
> 
> The first step may be something like this, which identifies all the
> "repo init" entry points. This is basically a revert of e26f7f19b6
> (repository: pre-initialize hash algo pointer - 2018-01-19) and doing
> things the proper way, hopefully.
> 
> This is on 'master', independent from Stefan's series. I have another
> patch on top of that series to remove the use of ignore_env in
> sha1_file.c (and things seem to work). Basically whenever you have to
> initialize the hash algorithm, there's a good chance you need to
> initialize object store as well. But I'll hold that off until
> Stefan's and this one are both merged.

I definitely think this series is an improvement over my previous patch.

My major concern is alarming users (or breaking scripts) with the
warning message.  I wonder if deferring the use of the warning until we
have multiple hash algorithms might be a better idea.  At that point,
the warning would become something people could act upon.
-- 
brian m. carlson / brian with sandals: Houston, Texas, US
https://www.crustytoothpaste.net/~bmc | My opinion only
OpenPGP: https://keybase.io/bk2204