Subject: [PATCH v2 00/13] various perl fixes

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 19:46:24 +0000

Addresses comments against v1, and ships with a new
NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS knob (thanks Todd!) which distributions can
turn on to not get our FromCPAN copies. Details below.

Todd Zullinger (1):
  Makefile: add NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS knob

Some of this was split off into into my "perl: move the
perl/Git/FromCPAN tree to perl/FromCPAN", and I added "This option is
intended[...]" to the Makefile documentation.

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason (12):
  perl: *.pm files should not have the executable bit

JN: Rephrased commit message.

  Git.pm: remove redundant "use strict" from sub-package
  Git.pm: add the "use warnings" pragma

These are both new, something I noticed and seems sensible to fix
while we're at it.

  gitweb: hard-depend on the Digest::MD5 5.8 module
  Git.pm: hard-depend on the File::{Temp,Spec} modules
  git-send-email: unconditionally use Net::{SMTP,Domain}

These all "use" the modules now, instead of using "require".

JN: Removed a comment from the gitweb code that isn't needed anymore.

Clarifications / fixes to the commit messages. 

  perl: update our ancient copy of Error.pm

Rephrased commit message.

  perl: update our copy of Mail::Address

Actually ships with the working version of Mail::Address now (oops!),
which makes the patch much smaller, and requires less explanation.

  perl: move CPAN loader wrappers to another namespace

JN: Commit message phrasing.

  perl: generalize the Git::LoadCPAN facility

JN: Commit message phrasing, and s/    /\t/g.

  perl: move the perl/Git/FromCPAN tree to perl/FromCPAN
  perl Git::LoadCPAN: emit better errors under NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS

These are both new. There's now a NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS option for
distributors to turn on to stop us from installing these CPAN
fallbacks.

13/13 updates the docs, and emits a better error than what we emit now
in master if the CPAN module we expect from the OS isn't installed.

 INSTALL                                 |  11 +-
 Makefile                                |  16 +-
 contrib/examples/git-difftool.perl      |   2 +-
 git-send-email.perl                     |  28 ++-
 gitweb/INSTALL                          |   3 +-
 gitweb/gitweb.perl                      |  17 +-
 perl/FromCPAN/.gitattributes            |   1 +
 perl/{Git => }/FromCPAN/Error.pm        | 296 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
 perl/{Git => }/FromCPAN/Mail/Address.pm |   8 +-
 perl/Git.pm                             |  14 +-
 perl/Git/Error.pm                       |  46 -----
 perl/Git/LoadCPAN.pm                    | 104 +++++++++++
 perl/Git/LoadCPAN/Error.pm              |  10 ++
 perl/Git/LoadCPAN/Mail/Address.pm       |  10 ++
 perl/Git/Mail/Address.pm                |  24 ---
 15 files changed, 432 insertions(+), 158 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 perl/FromCPAN/.gitattributes
 rename perl/{Git => }/FromCPAN/Error.pm (72%)
 rename perl/{Git => }/FromCPAN/Mail/Address.pm (96%)
 delete mode 100644 perl/Git/Error.pm
 create mode 100644 perl/Git/LoadCPAN.pm
 create mode 100644 perl/Git/LoadCPAN/Error.pm
 create mode 100644 perl/Git/LoadCPAN/Mail/Address.pm
 delete mode 100755 perl/Git/Mail/Address.pm

-- 
2.15.1.424.g9478a66081