Subject: [PATCH/RFC 0/1] Avoid expensive 'repack -ad' in gc --auto

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 16:20:45 +0700

The series [1] I just sent helps reduce pack-objects memory footprint
a bit. But even then it's still a huge memory hog. So this patch makes
a special treatment for gc --auto: avoid it completely.

The trick here is not new (pinning the largest pack with a .keep
file). It's just never done automatically. I think this is a good
thing to do, provided that gc --auto estimates memory usage more or
less correct.

And "git gc --auto" should run even on weak machines because it's part
of regular repo maintenance. You can't tell people "You can't work on
linux-2.6.git repository because your machine has too little memory".

The only thing left I think I should do is to use an external rev-list
to free up some more memory. But let's see how the first patch goes
first (documents and tests are missing, I know).

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]%3E/

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (1):
  gc --auto: exclude the largest giant pack in low-memory config

 builtin/gc.c           | 125 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 builtin/pack-objects.c |   2 +-
 config.mak.uname       |   1 +
 git-compat-util.h      |   4 ++
 pack-objects.h         |   2 +
 5 files changed, 128 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

-- 
2.16.1.435.g8f24da2e1a