Subject: [PATCH/RFC 0/5] Keep all info in command-list.txt in git binary

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 18:55:15 +0200

This is pretty rough but I'd like to see how people feel about this
first.

I notice we have two places for command classification. One in
command-list.txt, one in __git_list_porcelain_commands() in
git-completion.bash. People who are following nd/parseopt-completion
probably know that I'm try to reduce duplication in this script as
much as possible, this is another step towards that.

By keeping all information of command-list.txt in git binary, we could
provide the porcelain list to git-completion.bash via "git
--list-cmds=porcelain", so we don't neeed a separate command
classification in git-completion.bash anymore.

Because we have all command synopsis as a side effect, we could
now support "git help -a --verbose" which prints something like "git
help", a command name and a description, but we could do it for _all_
recognized commands. This could help people look for a command even if
we don't provide "git appropos".

PS. Elsewhere I introduced --list-builtin-cmds, which should become
--list-cmds=builtin if this series seems like a good idea to move
forward.

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (5):
  git.c: convert --list-builtins to --list-cmds=builtins
  git.c: implement --list-cmds=all and use it in git-completion.bash
  generate-cmdlist.sh: keep all information in common-cmds.h
  git.c: implement --list-cmds=porcelain
  help: add "-a --verbose" to list all commands with synopsis

 Documentation/git-help.txt             |   4 +-
 builtin/help.c                         |   6 ++
 contrib/completion/git-completion.bash |  94 +-----------------
 generate-cmdlist.sh                    |  46 ++++++---
 git.c                                  |  11 ++-
 help.c                                 | 131 +++++++++++++++++++++++--
 help.h                                 |   3 +
 t/t0012-help.sh                        |   2 +-
 t/t9902-completion.sh                  |   4 +-
 9 files changed, 187 insertions(+), 114 deletions(-)

-- 
2.17.0.rc0.348.gd5a49e0b6f