Subject: [PATCH 04/11] completion: support completing non-ASCII pathnames

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 00:41:08 +0200

Unless the user has 'core.quotePath=false' somewhere in the
configuration, both 'git ls-files' and 'git diff-index' will by
default quote any pathnames that contain bytes with values higher than
0x80, and escape those bytes as '\nnn' octal values.  This prevents
completing paths when the current path component to be completed
contains any non-ASCII, most notably UTF-8, characters, because none
of the listed quoted paths will match the current word on the command
line.

Set 'core.quotePath=false' for those 'git ls-files' and 'git
diff-index' invocations, so they won't consider bytes higher than 0x80
as "unusual", and won't quote pathnames containing such characters.

Note that pathnames containing backslash, double quote, or control
characters will still be quoted; a later patch in this series will
deal with those.

Signed-off-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
---
 contrib/completion/git-completion.bash | 6 ++++--
 t/t9902-completion.sh                  | 2 +-
 2 files changed, 5 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash b/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
index 72cd3add19..7072555960 100644
--- a/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
+++ b/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
@@ -369,10 +369,12 @@ __gitcomp_file ()
 __git_ls_files_helper ()
 {
 	if [ "$2" == "--committable" ]; then
-		__git -C "$1" diff-index --name-only --relative HEAD
+		__git -C "$1" -c core.quotePath=false diff-index \
+			--name-only --relative HEAD
 	else
 		# NOTE: $2 is not quoted in order to support multiple options
-		__git -C "$1" ls-files --exclude-standard $2
+		__git -C "$1" -c core.quotePath=false ls-files \
+			--exclude-standard $2
 	fi
 }
 
diff --git a/t/t9902-completion.sh b/t/t9902-completion.sh
index ff2e4a8f5f..a4f2c03b93 100755
--- a/t/t9902-completion.sh
+++ b/t/t9902-completion.sh
@@ -1463,7 +1463,7 @@ test_expect_failure 'complete files - quoted characters on cmdline' '
 			"New(Dir/New)File.c"
 '
 
-test_expect_failure 'complete files - UTF-8 in ls-files output' '
+test_expect_success 'complete files - UTF-8 in ls-files output' '
 	test_when_finished "rm -r árvíztűrő" &&
 	mkdir árvíztűrő &&
 	>"árvíztűrő/Сайн яваарай" &&
-- 
2.17.0.366.gbe216a3084