Subject: [PATCH v3 0/9] Compute and consume generation numbers

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 17:00:13 +0000

Thanks for all the help on v2. Here are a few changes between versions:

* Removed the constant-time check in queue_has_nonstale() due to the
  possibility of a performance hit and no evidence of a performance
  benefit in typical cases.

* Reordered the commits about loading commits from the commit-graph.
  This way it is easier to demonstrate the incorrect checks. On my
  machine, every commit compiles and the test suite passes, but patches
  6-8 have the bug that is fixed in patch 9 "merge: check config before
  loading commits".

* The interaction with parse_commit_in_graph() from parse_object() is
  replaced with a new 'check_graph' parameter in parse_commit_buffer().
  This allows us to fill in the graph_pos and generation values for
  commits that are parsed directly from a buffer. This keeps the existing
  behavior that a commit parsed this way should match its buffer.

* There was discussion about making GENERATION_NUMBER_MAX assignable by
  an environment variable so we could add tests that exercise the behavior
  of capping a generation at that value. Perhaps the code around this is
  simple enough that we do not need to add that complexity.

Thanks,
-Stolee

-- >8 --

This is the one of several "small" patches that follow the serialized
Git commit graph patch (ds/commit-graph) and lazy-loading trees
(ds/lazy-load-trees).

As described in Documentation/technical/commit-graph.txt, the generation
number of a commit is one more than the maximum generation number among
its parents (trivially, a commit with no parents has generation number
one). This section is expanded to describe the interaction with special
generation numbers GENERATION_NUMBER_INFINITY (commits not in the commit-graph
file) and *_ZERO (commits in a commit-graph file written before generation
numbers were implemented).

This series makes the computation of generation numbers part of the
commit-graph write process.

Finally, generation numbers are used to order commits in the priority
queue in paint_down_to_common(). This allows a short-circuit mechanism
to improve performance of `git branch --contains`.

Further, use generation numbers for 'git tag --contains), providing a
significant speedup (at least 95% for some cases).

A more substantial refactoring of revision.c is required before making
'git log --graph' use generation numbers effectively.

This patch series is build on ds/lazy-load-trees.

Derrick Stolee (9):
  commit: add generation number to struct commmit
  commit-graph: compute generation numbers
  commit: use generations in paint_down_to_common()
  commit-graph.txt: update design document
  ref-filter: use generation number for --contains
  commit: use generation numbers for in_merge_bases()
  commit: add short-circuit to paint_down_to_common()
  commit-graph: always load commit-graph information
  merge: check config before loading commits

 Documentation/technical/commit-graph.txt | 30 +++++--
 alloc.c                                  |  1 +
 builtin/merge.c                          |  5 +-
 commit-graph.c                           | 99 +++++++++++++++++++-----
 commit-graph.h                           |  8 ++
 commit.c                                 | 54 +++++++++++--
 commit.h                                 |  7 +-
 object.c                                 |  2 +-
 ref-filter.c                             | 23 +++++-
 sha1_file.c                              |  2 +-
 t/t5318-commit-graph.sh                  |  9 +++
 11 files changed, 199 insertions(+), 41 deletions(-)

base-commit: 7b8a21dba1bce44d64bd86427d3d92437adc4707
-- 
2.17.0.39.g685157f7fb