Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 1/2] merge: Add merge.renames config setting

From: "Eckhard Maaß" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 14:07:18 +0200

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:34:25AM -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> Sorry, I think I wasn't being clear.  The documentation for the config
> options for e.g. diff.renameLimit, fetch.prune, log.abbrevCommit, and
> merge.ff all mention the equivalent command line parameters.  Your
> patch doesn't do that for merge.renames, but I think it would be
> helpful if it did.

I wonder here what the relation to the diff.* options should be in this
regard anyway. There is already diff.renames. Naively, I would assume
that these options are in sync, that is you control the behavior of both
the normal diff family like git show and git merge. The reasoning, at
least for me, is to keep consistency between the outcome of rename
detection while merging and a later simple "git show MERGE_BASE..HEAD".
I would expect those to give me the same style of rename detection.

Hence, I would like to use diff.renames and maybe enhance this option to
also carry the score in backward compatible way (or introduce a second
configuration option?). Is this idea going in a good direction? If yes,
I will try to submit a patch for this.

Ah, by the way: for people that have not touched diff.renames there will
be no visible change in how Git behaves - the default for diff.renames
is a rename with 50% score with is the same for merge. So it will only
change if one has tweaked diff.renames already. But I wonder if one does
that and expect the merge to use a different rename detection anyway.

Greetings,
Eckhard