Subject: Re: Git enhancement request - checkout (clone) set modified dates to commit date

From: Kevin Daudt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 21:59:24 +0200

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 03:01:10PM -0400, Andrew Wolfe wrote:
> Hi Brian,
> 
> Not completely sure what you're saying.  If the files on master are
> not changed, the changed files' commit timestamps will be older than
> the branch commit timestamps.
> 
> However, if I check out master after committing to a branch, the
> modifications will necessarily disappear because they haven't been
> committed to master.  Instead, under my proposal, each will get the
> timestamp of its prior commit.
> 

Say I build the project while on a certain branch. Then I checkout a
different branch and build again. You would expect that the targets of
every source file that have changed are rebuilt.

When you would restore the timestamp back to the commit timestamp, the
timestamp will be older then the target, and make will not rebuild it,
leaving you with outdated build targets.