Subject: [PATCH v2] unpack_trees: fix breakage when o->src_index != o->dst_index

From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:24:23 -0700

Currently, all callers of unpack_trees() set o->src_index == o->dst_index.
The code in unpack_trees() does not correctly handle them being different.
There are two separate issues:

First, there is the possibility of memory corruption.  Since
unpack_trees() creates a temporary index in o->result and then discards
o->dst_index and overwrites it with o->result, in the special case that
o->src_index == o->dst_index, it is safe to just reuse o->src_index's
split_index for o->result.  However, when src and dst are different,
reusing o->src_index's split_index for o->result will cause the
split_index to be shared.  If either index then has entries replaced or
removed, it will result in the other index referring to free()'d memory.

Second, we can drop the index extensions.  Previously, we were moving
index extensions from o->dst_index to o->result.  Since o->src_index is
the one that will have the necessary extensions (o->dst_index is likely to
be a new index temporary index created to store the results), we should be
moving the index extensions from there.  (Thanks to Duy Nguyen for
noticing and suggesting this fix.)

Helped by: Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
---

Marked as PATCH v2, though I marked the previous one as "RFC PATCH v10
32.5/36" because I thought I was going to put it in my series.  But it is
an independent fix that my series needs.

Also, I reran my merge-all-linux.git merges comparison[1]; as expected,
this updated patch didn't change the results.

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

 unpack-trees.c | 17 ++++++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 14 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/unpack-trees.c b/unpack-trees.c
index e73745051e..08f6cab82e 100644
--- a/unpack-trees.c
+++ b/unpack-trees.c
@@ -1284,9 +1284,20 @@ int unpack_trees(unsigned len, struct tree_desc *t, struct unpack_trees_options
 	o->result.timestamp.sec = o->src_index->timestamp.sec;
 	o->result.timestamp.nsec = o->src_index->timestamp.nsec;
 	o->result.version = o->src_index->version;
-	o->result.split_index = o->src_index->split_index;
-	if (o->result.split_index)
+	if (!o->src_index->split_index) {
+		o->result.split_index = NULL;
+	} else if (o->src_index == o->dst_index) {
+		/*
+		 * o->dst_index (and thus o->src_index) will be discarded
+		 * and overwritten with o->result at the end of this function,
+		 * so just use src_index's split_index to avoid having to
+		 * create a new one.
+		 */
+		o->result.split_index = o->src_index->split_index;
 		o->result.split_index->refcount++;
+	} else {
+		o->result.split_index = init_split_index(&o->result);
+	}
 	hashcpy(o->result.sha1, o->src_index->sha1);
 	o->merge_size = len;
 	mark_all_ce_unused(o->src_index);
@@ -1412,7 +1423,7 @@ int unpack_trees(unsigned len, struct tree_desc *t, struct unpack_trees_options
 						  WRITE_TREE_SILENT |
 						  WRITE_TREE_REPAIR);
 		}
-		move_index_extensions(&o->result, o->dst_index);
+		move_index_extensions(&o->result, o->src_index);
 		discard_index(o->dst_index);
 		*o->dst_index = o->result;
 	} else {
-- 
2.17.0.296.gaac25b4b81