Subject: Re: worktrees vs. alternates

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 11:49:35 -0400

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 05:34:34PM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>I may have missed some edge case, but I believe this entire workaround
>isn't needed if you guarantee that the parent repo doesn't contain any
>objects that will get un-referenced.

You can't guarantee that, because the parent repo can have its history
rewritten either via a forced push, or via a rebase. Obviously, this
won't happen in something like torvalds/linux.git, which is why it's
pretty safe to alternate off of that repo for us, but codeaurora.org
repos aren't always strictly-ff (e.g. because they may rebase themselves
based on what is in upstream AOSP repos) -- so objects in them may
become unreferenced and pruned away, corrupting any repos using them for
alternates.

>> I'm very interested in GVFS, because it would certainly make my life
>> easier maintaining source.codeaurora.org, which is many thousands of
>> repos that are mostly forks of the same stuff. However, GVFS appears to
>> only exist for Windows (hint-hint, nudge-nudge). :)
>
>This should make you happy:
>
>https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/microsoft-and-github-team-up-to-take-git-virtual-file-system-to-macos-linux/
>
>But I don't know what the current status is or where it can be followed.

Very good to know, thanks!

-K