Subject: [PATCH 3/4] config doc: elaborate on what transfer.fsckObjects does

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 19:35:15 +0000

The existing documentation led the user to believe that all we were
doing were basic readability sanity checks, but that hasn't been true
for a very long time. Update the description to match reality, and
note the caveat that there's a quarantine for accepting pushes, but
not for fetching.

Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/config.txt | 16 +++++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 13 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index 351c541ab8..124f7a187c 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -3339,9 +3339,19 @@ transfer.fsckObjects::
 	not set, the value of this variable is used instead.
 	Defaults to false.
 +
-When set, the fetch or receive will abort in the case of a malformed
-object or a broken link. The result of an abort are only dangling
-objects.
+When set, the fetch receive will abort in the case of a malformed
+object or a link to a nonexisting object. In addition, various other
+issues are checked for, including legacy issues (see `fsck.<msg-id>`),
+and potential security issues like there being a `.GIT` directory (see
+the release notes for v2.2.1 for details). Other sanity and security
+checks may be added in future releases.
++
+On the receiving side failing fsckObjects will make those objects
+unreachable, see "QUARANTINE ENVIRONMENT" in
+linkgit:git-receive-pack[1]. On the fetch side the malformed objects
+will instead be left unreferenced in the repository. That's considered
+a bug, and hopefully future git release will implement a quarantine
+for the "fetch" side as well.
 
 transfer.hideRefs::
 	String(s) `receive-pack` and `upload-pack` use to decide which
-- 
2.17.0.290.gded63e768a