Subject: [PATCH v2 3/5] config doc: elaborate on what transfer.fsckObjects does

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 19:28:09 +0000

The existing documentation led the user to believe that all we were
doing were basic reachability sanity checks, but that hasn't been true
for a very long time. Update the description to match reality, and
note the caveat that there's a quarantine for accepting pushes, but
not for fetching.

Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/config.txt | 12 ++++++++++--
 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index af7311e73f..71b3805b4e 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -3341,8 +3341,16 @@ transfer.fsckObjects::
 	Defaults to false.
 +
 When set, the fetch or receive will abort in the case of a malformed
-object or a broken link. The result of an abort are only dangling
-objects.
+object or a link to a nonexistent object. In addition, various other
+issues are checked for, including legacy issues (see `fsck.<msg-id>`),
+and potential security issues like the existence of a `.GIT` directory
+(see the release notes for v2.2.1 for details). Other sanity and
+security checks may be added in future releases.
++
+On the receiving side, failing fsckObjects will make those objects
+unreachable, see "QUARANTINE ENVIRONMENT" in
+linkgit:git-receive-pack[1]. On the fetch side, malformed objects will
+instead be left unreferenced in the repository.
 
 transfer.hideRefs::
 	String(s) `receive-pack` and `upload-pack` use to decide which
-- 
2.17.0.290.gded63e768a