Subject: Re: send-email: change the default value of sendmail.validate

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 18:15:46 +0000

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 03:07:51PM -0400, Drew DeVault wrote:
> The purpose of this configuration option is to prevent your emails from
> blowing up on SMTP servers (rather than Extended SMTP servers). However,
> I find it often confuses people whose patches are otherwise correct, and
> they don't know how to solve the issue.
> 
> I haven't seen an SMTP server in a very long time which doesn't support
> extended SMTP. The default behavior should probably change. If not, the
> error message should be more clear about action items to address the
> issue.
> 
> I'll send a patch around to change this shortly.

Can you say a bit more about the exact error message you're seeing?

Are you suggesting that we not limit lines to 998 octets?  I've seen
lots of mail servers that do reject mail over 998 octets.  I've
configured Postfix to do so because being strict on mail standards is a
great way to stop spam.

If that's the issue you're seeing, it might be better to either
automatically encode those patches as binary patches or teach git
send-email and git am how to automatically handle quoted-printable.
-- 
brian m. carlson: Houston, Texas, US
OpenPGP: https://keybase.io/bk2204