Subject: [GSoC] [PATCH v3 0/4] rebase: rewrite rebase in C

From: Pratik Karki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 17:53:11 +0545

As a GSoC project, I have been working on the builtin rebase.

The motivation behind the rewrite of rebase i.e. from shell script to C
are for following reasons:

1.  Writing shell scripts and getting it to production is much faster
    than doing the equivalent in C but lacks in performance and extra
    workarounds are needed for non-POSIX platforms.

2.  Git for Windows is at loss as the installer size increases due to
    addition of extra dependencies for the shell scripts which are usually
    available in POSIX compliant platforms.

This series of patches serves to demonstrate a minimal builtin rebase
which supports running `git rebase <upstream>` and also serves to ask for
reviews.

Changes since v2:

  -  Fix commit messages of patches.

  -  Acknowledge Junio's reviews.

  -  Demonstrate an alternative approach to setting of environment variables
     via `run_command_v_opt_cd_env()` which would be visible by spawned
     process from rebase backends as this is not safe.

Pratik Karki (4):
  rebase: start implementing it as a builtin
  rebase: refactor common shell functions into their own file
  sequencer: refactor the code to detach HEAD to checkout.c
  builtin/rebase: support running "git rebase <upstream>"

 .gitignore                            |   2 +
 Makefile                              |   4 +-
 builtin.h                             |   1 +
 builtin/rebase.c                      | 291 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 checkout.c                            |  64 ++++++
 checkout.h                            |   3 +
 git-rebase.sh => git-legacy-rebase.sh |  62 +-----
 git-rebase--common.sh                 |  61 ++++++
 git.c                                 |   6 +
 sequencer.c                           |  58 +----
 10 files changed, 437 insertions(+), 115 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 builtin/rebase.c
 rename git-rebase.sh => git-legacy-rebase.sh (91%)
 create mode 100644 git-rebase--common.sh

-- 
2.18.0