Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/6] Compile cleanly in pedantic mode

From: Beat Bolli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 16:43:36 +0200

While developing 6aaded550 ("builtin/config: work around an unsized
array forward declaration", 2018-07-05), I have compiled Git with
CFLAGS="-std=c99 -pedantic".

This is an RFC patch series that fixes a few compiler warnings when
compiling with these options, always assuming that this is a worthwile
goal.

Note that all warnings were produced by -pedantic; the C99 standard
option by itself didn't cause any of them.

The warnings were:

1) Char arrays initialized from a parenthesized string.

        Suppressed by defining USE_PARENS_AROUND_GETTEXT_N to 0
        globally. This was done just to keep the amount of warnings
        manageable; this series leaves that knob alone. The advantage of
        not mistakenly concatenating two translated strings is greater.

2) connect.h, refs/refs-internal.h: Forward reference to an enum.

        Added two #includes that define the enums. This was already
        (inconclusively) talked about in [0].

3) convert.c: Invalid escape sequence "\e".

        Replaced with "\033".

4) seqencer.c: Empty statements at top level.

        Removed the extra semicolons.

5) string-list.c: Forbidden to cast from void * to a function pointer and
   vice versa.

        Encapsulated the function pointer in a context struct. This is
        controversial because it has a performance impact, namely one
        additional pointer dereference per string comparison. An
        alternative might be to use multiple casts via intptr_t. But
        I'm not sure if this is worth the trouble.

6) utf8.c: overflow of char values.

        Use unsigned char for the BOM constants.

This series has patches for 2) to 6).

Regards,
Beat

[0] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/T/