Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/2] fetch: send "refs/tags/" prefix upon CLI refspecs

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 11:33:28 -0700

On 07/09, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Brandon Williams <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I agree with this observation, though I'm a bit sad about it.  I think
> > that having tag auto-following the default is a little confusing (and
> > hurts perf[1] when using proto v2) but since thats the way its always been
> > we'll have to live with it for now.  I think exploring changing the
> > defaults might be a good thing to do in the future.  But for now we've
> > had enough people comment on this lacking functionality that we should
> > fix it.
> >
> > [1] Thankfully it doesn't completely undo what protocol v2 did, as we
> > still are able to eliminate refs/changes or refs/pull or other various
> > refs which significantly add to the number of refs advertised during
> > fetch.
> 
> I thought JTan's <[email-masked]>
> showed us a way forward to reduce the overhead even further without
> having to be sad ;-).  Am I mistaken?

That's true, what Jonathan mentioned there would avoid having to send
"refs/tags/*" when requesting the refs.  The question is do we wait on
implementing that functionality (as another feature to fetch) or do we
fix this now?

-- 
Brandon Williams