Subject: [PATCH v3 1/3] t5541: clean up truncating access log

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:22:14 +0200

In the second test of 't5541-http-push-smart.sh', 'no empty path
components' we truncate Apache's access log by running:

  echo >.../access.log

There are two issues with this approach:

  - This doesn't leave an empty file behind, like a proper truncation
    would, but a file with a lone newline in it.  Consequently, a
    later test checking the log's contents must consider this improper
    truncation and include an empty line in the expected content.

  - This truncation is done in the middle of the test, because,
    quoting the in-code comment, "we do this [truncation] before the
    actual comparison to ensure the log is cleared" even when
    subsequent 'test_cmp' fails.  Alas, this is not quite robust
    enough, as it is conceivable that 'git clone' fails after already
    having sent a request, in which case the access log would not be
    truncated and would leave stray log entries behind.

Since there is no need for that newline at all, drop the 'echo' from
the truncation and adjust the expected content accordingly.
Furthermore, make sure that the truncation is performed no matter
whether and how 'git clone' fails unexpectedly by specifying it as a
'test_when_finished' command.

Signed-off-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
---
 t/t5541-http-push-smart.sh | 12 ++++--------
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

diff --git a/t/t5541-http-push-smart.sh b/t/t5541-http-push-smart.sh
index a2af693068..5c9ca19401 100755
--- a/t/t5541-http-push-smart.sh
+++ b/t/t5541-http-push-smart.sh
@@ -38,6 +38,10 @@ GET  /smart/test_repo.git/info/refs?service=git-upload-pack HTTP/1.1 200
 POST /smart/test_repo.git/git-upload-pack HTTP/1.1 200
 EOF
 test_expect_success 'no empty path components' '
+	# Clear the log, so that it does not affect the "used receive-pack
+	# service" test which reads the log too.
+	test_when_finished ">\"$HTTPD_ROOT_PATH\"/access.log" &&
+
 	# In the URL, add a trailing slash, and see if git appends yet another
 	# slash.
 	cd "$ROOT_PATH" &&
@@ -49,13 +53,6 @@ test_expect_success 'no empty path components' '
 		s/ [1-9][0-9]*\$//
 		s/^GET /GET  /
 	" >act <"$HTTPD_ROOT_PATH"/access.log &&
-
-	# Clear the log, so that it does not affect the "used receive-pack
-	# service" test which reads the log too.
-	#
-	# We do this before the actual comparison to ensure the log is cleared.
-	echo > "$HTTPD_ROOT_PATH"/access.log &&
-
 	test_cmp exp act
 '
 
@@ -124,7 +121,6 @@ test_expect_success 'rejected update prints status' '
 rm -f "$HTTPD_DOCUMENT_ROOT_PATH/test_repo.git/hooks/update"
 
 cat >exp <<EOF
-
 GET  /smart/test_repo.git/info/refs?service=git-upload-pack HTTP/1.1 200
 POST /smart/test_repo.git/git-upload-pack HTTP/1.1 200
 GET  /smart/test_repo.git/info/refs?service=git-receive-pack HTTP/1.1 200
-- 
2.18.0.305.g66e9e0a543