Subject: Are clone/checkout operations deterministic?

From: "J. Paul Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 02:14:29 -0700

Hey Git Devs,

I have a bit of an odd question: do git clone/checkout operations have a
deterministic ordering?

That is: are files guaranteed to be laid down onto disk in any specific
(and deterministic) order as a clone and/or checkout operations occurs?
(And if so, is it alphabetical order? Depth-first? Something else?)

In case the answer is different (and I'd guess that it might be?), I'm
mostly interested in the initial clone case... but it would be great to
know if, indeed, the answer is different for just-checkouts too.

I did some cursory googling, but nothing hopped out at me as an answer to
this question.

Thanks!

-preed
-- 
J. Paul Reed                                              PGP: 0xDF8708F8
=========================================================================
I've never seen an airplane yet that can read the type ratings on your
pilot's license.                                       -- Chuck Boedecker