Subject: [PATCH 1/2] rerere: remove documentation for "nested conflicts"

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 23:10:04 +0100

4af32207bc ("rerere: teach rerere to handle nested conflicts",
2018-08-05) introduced slightly better behaviour if the user commits
conflict markers and then gets another conflict in 'git rerere'.
However this is just a heuristic to punt on such conflicts better, and
the documentation might be misleading to users, in case we change the
heuristic in the future.

Remove this documentation to avoid being potentially misleading in the
documentation.

Suggested-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
---

The original series already made it into 'next', so these patches are
on top of that.  I also see it is marked as "will merge to master" in
the "What's cooking" email, so these two patches would be on top of
that.  If you are not planning to merge the series down to master
before 2.19, we could squash this into 10/11, otherwise I'm happy with
the patches on top.

 Documentation/technical/rerere.txt | 42 ------------------------------
 1 file changed, 42 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/technical/rerere.txt b/Documentation/technical/rerere.txt
index e65ba9b0c6..3d10dbfa67 100644
--- a/Documentation/technical/rerere.txt
+++ b/Documentation/technical/rerere.txt
@@ -138,45 +138,3 @@ SHA1('B<NUL>C<NUL>').
 If there are multiple conflicts in one file, the sha1 is calculated
 the same way with all hunks appended to each other, in the order in
 which they appear in the file, separated by a <NUL> character.
-
-Nested conflicts
-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-
-Nested conflicts are handled very similarly to "simple" conflicts.
-Similar to simple conflicts, the conflict is first normalized by
-stripping the labels from conflict markers, stripping the common ancestor
-version, and the sorting the conflict hunks, both for the outer and the
-inner conflict.  This is done recursively, so any number of nested
-conflicts can be handled.
-
-The only difference is in how the conflict ID is calculated.  For the
-inner conflict, the conflict markers themselves are not stripped out
-before calculating the sha1.
-
-Say we have the following conflict for example:
-
-    <<<<<<< HEAD
-    1
-    =======
-    <<<<<<< HEAD
-    3
-    =======
-    2
-    >>>>>>> branch-2
-    >>>>>>> branch-3~
-
-After stripping out the labels of the conflict markers, and sorting
-the hunks, the conflict would look as follows:
-
-    <<<<<<<
-    1
-    =======
-    <<<<<<<
-    2
-    =======
-    3
-    >>>>>>>
-    >>>>>>>
-
-and finally the conflict ID would be calculated as:
-`sha1('1<NUL><<<<<<<\n3\n=======\n2\n>>>>>>><NUL>')`
-- 
2.18.0.1088.ge017bf2cd1