Subject: [PATCH 2/2] rerere: add not about files with existing conflict markers

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 23:10:05 +0100

When a file contains lines that look like conflict markers, 'git
rerere' may fail not be able to record a conflict resolution.
Emphasize that in the man page.

Helped-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
---

Not sure if there may be a better place in the man page for this, but
this is the best I could come up with.

 Documentation/git-rerere.txt | 6 ++++++
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-rerere.txt b/Documentation/git-rerere.txt
index 031f31fa47..036ea11528 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-rerere.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-rerere.txt
@@ -211,6 +211,12 @@ would conflict the same way as the test merge you resolved earlier.
 'git rerere' will be run by 'git rebase' to help you resolve this
 conflict.
 
+[NOTE]
+'git rerere' relies on the conflict markers in the file to detect the
+conflict.  If the file already contains lines that look the same as
+lines with conflict markers, 'git rerere' may fail to record a
+conflict resolution.
+
 GIT
 ---
 Part of the linkgit:git[1] suite
-- 
2.18.0.1088.ge017bf2cd1