Subject: [PATCH v2 2/2] rerere: add note about files with existing conflict markers

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 22:27:44 +0100

When a file contains lines that look like conflict markers, 'git
rerere' may fail not be able to record a conflict resolution.
Emphasize that in the man page, and mention a possible workaround for
the issue.

Suggested-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
---

Compared to v1, this now mentions the workaround of setting the
'conflict-marker-size', as mentioned in
<[email-masked]>

 Documentation/git-rerere.txt | 6 ++++++
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-rerere.txt b/Documentation/git-rerere.txt
index 031f31fa47..df310d2a58 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-rerere.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-rerere.txt
@@ -211,6 +211,12 @@ would conflict the same way as the test merge you resolved earlier.
 'git rerere' will be run by 'git rebase' to help you resolve this
 conflict.
 
+[NOTE] 'git rerere' relies on the conflict markers in the file to
+detect the conflict.  If the file already contains lines that look the
+same as lines with conflict markers, 'git rerere' may fail to record a
+conflict resolution.  To work around this, the `conflict-marker-size`
+setting in linkgit:gitattributes[5] can be used.
+
 GIT
 ---
 Part of the linkgit:git[1] suite
-- 
2.18.0.1088.ge017bf2cd1