Subject: [PATCH v5 5/9] push doc: remove confusing mention of remote merger

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 20:10:00 +0000

Saying that "git push <remote> <src>:<dst>" won't push a merger of
<src> and <dst> to <dst> is clear from the rest of the context here,
so mentioning it is redundant, furthermore the mention of "EXAMPLES
below" isn't specific or useful.

This phrase was originally added in 149f6ddfb3 ("Docs: Expand
explanation of the use of + in git push refspecs.", 2009-02-19), as
can be seen in that change the point of the example being cited was to
show that force pushing can leave unreferenced commits on the
remote. It's enough that we explain that in its own section, it
doesn't need to be mentioned here.

Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-push.txt | 3 +--
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-push.txt b/Documentation/git-push.txt
index 55277a9781..83e499ee97 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-push.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-push.txt
@@ -78,8 +78,7 @@ on the remote side.  By default this is only allowed if <dst> is not
 a tag (annotated or lightweight), and then only if it can fast-forward
 <dst>.  By having the optional leading `+`, you can tell Git to update
 the <dst> ref even if it is not allowed by default (e.g., it is not a
-fast-forward.)  This does *not* attempt to merge <src> into <dst>.  See
-EXAMPLES below for details.
+fast-forward.).
 +
 `tag <tag>` means the same as `refs/tags/<tag>:refs/tags/<tag>`.
 +
-- 
2.19.0.rc1.350.ge57e33dbd1