Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/5] Fix the racy split index problem

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 04:48:05 +0200

Ever since the split index feature was introduced, refreshing a split
index is prone to a variant of the classic racy git problem, which
caused occasional failures in several random test scripts when run
with 'GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX=yes'.  I won't go into details here, there
is plenty of text to be read already in the commit messages of patches
3 and 5.

RFC, because I'm not sure that the fix in patch 5 is the best fix for
this issue.  ... and because I usually don't dive this deep into core
stuff during my Git hacking adventures, so who knows what subtleties I
might have missed.

SZEDER Gábor (5):
  t1700-split-index: drop unnecessary 'grep'
  t0090: disable GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX for the test checking split index
  split index: add a test to demonstrate the racy split index problem
  t1700-split-index: date back files to avoid racy situations
  split-index: smudge and add racily clean cache entries to split index

 cache.h                     |   2 +
 read-cache.c                |   2 +-
 split-index.c               |  12 ++-
 t/t0090-cache-tree.sh       |  18 ++--
 t/t1700-split-index.sh      |  51 +++++++-----
 t/t1701-racy-split-index.sh | 162 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 6 files changed, 216 insertions(+), 31 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t1701-racy-split-index.sh

-- 
2.19.0.rc0.188.g56c5ee2db1