Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/1] Make 'git commit' not accidentally lose staged content

From: "Eckhard Maaß" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 23:11:28 +0200

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 12:41:30PM -0700, Jacob Keller wrote:
> I think having both is good. There are a lot of ways to accidentally
> throw away work, and it's pretty frustrating to have it happen. But
> the reflog is also somewhat complicated, and I've definitely seen a
> lot of developers who've never heard of it, and struggle with the
> concept.

It's definitely good to improve on "oh, I screwed up - how can I
recover?" part. 

> I personally think having the nice "it looks like you're about to
> throw away all your changes, are you sure" style of protection using
> something like --clobber-index is useful as a mode, even if we have an
> index log of sorts.

I don't think it's an appealing design. If we have the index reflog
giving us an undo function, then it is (at least for me) irritating to
have additional protection. Furthermore, this protection, to not break
existing workflows, needs to be configurable. This comes with much
baggage on its own. Having then two things which seem to solve the same
problem setting, but somehow different, is in my opinion even more
confusing in the long run.

Greetings,
Eckhard