Subject: Re: Git for games working group

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:01:22 -0400

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 12:53:58PM -0700, John Austin wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 10:57 AM Randall S. Becker
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >  I would even like to help with your effort and have non-unixy platforms I'd like to do this on.
> > Having this separate from git LFS is an even better idea IMO, and I would suggest implementing this using the same set of build tools that git uses so that it is broadly portable, unlike git LFS. Glad to help there too.
>
> Great to hear -- once the code is in a bit better shape I can open it
> up on github. Cross platform is definitely one of my focuses. I'm
> currently implementing in Rust because it targets the same space as C
> and has great, near trivial, cross-platform support. What sorts of
> platforms are you interested in? Windows is my first target because
> that's where many game developers live.

This would likely mean that Git LFS will have to reimplement it, since
we strictly avoid using CGo (Go's mechanism to issue function calls to
other languages).

The upshot is that it likely shouldn't be too much effort for anybody,
and the open-source community would get a Go implementation of the API,
too.

Thanks,
Taylor