Subject: Re: [PATCH] git help: promote 'git help -av'

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:20:00 -0500

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 02:19:28PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 07:47:07PM +0200, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
>
> > When you type "git help" (or just "git") you are greeted with a list
> > with commonly used commands and their short description and are
> > suggested to use "git help -a" or "git help -g" for more details.
> >
> > "git help -av" would be more friendly and inline with what is shown
> > with "git help" since it shows list of commands with description as
> > well, and commands are properly grouped.
>
> I agree that "help -av" is likely to be more friendly. I kind of wonder
> if it should just be the default for "-a". Do we have any obligation not
> to change the format of that output?

I agree, though I'd like to clarify what you said before doing so
wholeheartedly.

Did you mean that all existing uses of 'git help -a' should instead mean
'git help -av' (i.e., that '-a' after your proposed patch means the same
as '-av' in revisions prior to this one?)

If so, I agree. I can't imagine a case where I'd like to provide '-a'
and _not_ '-v', so certainly the later should come as a two-for-one
deal. Less, more well-intentioned knobs seems a positive trend to me, so
I am for this idea.

Thanks,
Taylor