Subject: [PATCH] gc: remove redundant check for gc_auto_threshold

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:32:35 +0000

Checking gc_auto_threshold in too_many_loose_objects() was added in
17815501a8 ("git-gc --auto: run "repack -A -d -l" as necessary.",
2007-09-17) when need_to_gc() itself was also reliant on
gc_auto_pack_limit before its early return:

    gc_auto_threshold <= 0 && gc_auto_pack_limit <= 0

When that check was simplified to just checking "gc_auto_threshold <=
0" in b14d255ba8 ("builtin-gc.c: allow disabling all auto-gc'ing by
assigning 0 to gc.auto", 2008-03-19) this unreachable code should have
been removed. We only call too_many_loose_objects() from within
need_to_gc() itself, which will return if this condition holds, and in
cmd_gc() which will return before ever getting to "auto_gc &&
too_many_loose_objects()" if "auto_gc && !need_to_gc()" is true
earlier in the function.

Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
---

I had this in my tree as part of some general gc cleanups I was
working on, but since it's trivially considered as a stand-alone topic
and unlikely to conflict with anything I or anyone else has planned
I'm sending it as a one-off.

 builtin/gc.c | 3 ---
 1 file changed, 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/builtin/gc.c b/builtin/gc.c
index 2b592260e9..5f25a35dfc 100644
--- a/builtin/gc.c
+++ b/builtin/gc.c
@@ -157,9 +157,6 @@ static int too_many_loose_objects(void)
 	int num_loose = 0;
 	int needed = 0;
 
-	if (gc_auto_threshold <= 0)
-		return 0;
-
 	dir = opendir(git_path("objects/17"));
 	if (!dir)
 		return 0;
-- 
2.19.1.390.gf3a00b506f