Subject: 'ds/test-multi-pack-index' vs. 'ab/commit-graph-progress'

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 13:15:57 +0200

Hi,

when branch 'ds/test-multi-pack-index' is merged with
'ab/commit-graph-progress', IOW 'master', 'next', or 'pu',
'GIT_TEST_MULTI_PACK_INDEX=1 ./t6500-gc.sh' fails with:

  expecting success:
          git -c gc.writeCommitGraph=true gc --no-quiet >stdout 2>stderr &&
          test_must_be_empty stdout &&
          test_line_count = 1 stderr &&
          test_i18ngrep "Computing commit graph generation numbers" stderr
  
  + git -c gc.writeCommitGraph=true gc --no-quiet
  + test_must_be_empty stdout
  + test_path_is_file stdout
  + test -f stdout
  + test -s stdout
  + test_line_count = 1 stderr
  + test 3 != 3
  + wc -l
  + test 16 = 1
  + echo test_line_count: line count for stderr != 1
  test_line_count: line count for stderr != 1
  + cat stderr
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-c67996b982e718f8e3fa70c5ff7db3cecf688bbb.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-d4f2632c6a37149bb546b8b0cfbc56b8183cd0f8.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-d4f2632c6a37149bb546b8b0cfbc56b8183cd0f8.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-c67996b982e718f8e3fa70c5ff7db3cecf688bbb.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-c67996b982e718f8e3fa70c5ff7db3cecf688bbb.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-c67996b982e718f8e3fa70c5ff7db3cecf688bbb.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-c67996b982e718f8e3fa70c5ff7db3cecf688bbb.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-c67996b982e718f8e3fa70c5ff7db3cecf688bbb.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-d4f2632c6a37149bb546b8b0cfbc56b8183cd0f8.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-d4f2632c6a37149bb546b8b0cfbc56b8183cd0f8.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-d4f2632c6a37149bb546b8b0cfbc56b8183cd0f8.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-d4f2632c6a37149bb546b8b0cfbc56b8183cd0f8.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-d4f2632c6a37149bb546b8b0cfbc56b8183cd0f8.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-d4f2632c6a37149bb546b8b0cfbc56b8183cd0f8.pack index unavailable
  error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-c67996b982e718f8e3fa70c5ff7db3cecf688bbb.pack index unavailable
  Computing commit graph generation numbers:  25% (1/4)   ^MComputing commit graph generation numbers:  50% (2/4)   ^MComputing commit graph generation numbers:  75% (3/4)   ^MComputing commit graph generation numbers: 100% (4/4)   ^MComputing commit graph generation numbers: 100% (4/4), done.
  + return 1
  error: last command exited with $?=1
  not ok 9 - gc --no-quiet

I suspect these "packfile index unavailable" errors are a Bad Thing,
but I didn't follow the MIDX development closely enough to judge.
Surprisingly (to me), 'git gc' didn't exit with error despite these
errors.

Anyway, this test seems to be too fragile, because that

  test_line_count = 1 stderr

line will trigger, when anything else during 'git gc' prints
something.  And I find it quite strange that an option called
'--no-quiet' only shows the commit-graph progress, but not the regular
output of 'git gc'.