Subject: [PATCH 49/78] config.txt: move pack.* to a separate file

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 08:23:22 +0200

Signed-off-by: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/config.txt      | 121 +---------------------------------
 Documentation/config/pack.txt | 120 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 121 insertions(+), 120 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/config/pack.txt

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index babe2e5682..4e839db64c 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -377,126 +377,7 @@ include::config/mergetool.txt[]
 
 include::config/notes.txt[]
 
-pack.window::
-	The size of the window used by linkgit:git-pack-objects[1] when no
-	window size is given on the command line. Defaults to 10.
-
-pack.depth::
-	The maximum delta depth used by linkgit:git-pack-objects[1] when no
-	maximum depth is given on the command line. Defaults to 50.
-	Maximum value is 4095.
-
-pack.windowMemory::
-	The maximum size of memory that is consumed by each thread
-	in linkgit:git-pack-objects[1] for pack window memory when
-	no limit is given on the command line.  The value can be
-	suffixed with "k", "m", or "g".  When left unconfigured (or
-	set explicitly to 0), there will be no limit.
-
-pack.compression::
-	An integer -1..9, indicating the compression level for objects
-	in a pack file. -1 is the zlib default. 0 means no
-	compression, and 1..9 are various speed/size tradeoffs, 9 being
-	slowest.  If not set,  defaults to core.compression.  If that is
-	not set,  defaults to -1, the zlib default, which is "a default
-	compromise between speed and compression (currently equivalent
-	to level 6)."
-+
-Note that changing the compression level will not automatically recompress
-all existing objects. You can force recompression by passing the -F option
-to linkgit:git-repack[1].
-
-pack.island::
-	An extended regular expression configuring a set of delta
-	islands. See "DELTA ISLANDS" in linkgit:git-pack-objects[1]
-	for details.
-
-pack.islandCore::
-	Specify an island name which gets to have its objects be
-	packed first. This creates a kind of pseudo-pack at the front
-	of one pack, so that the objects from the specified island are
-	hopefully faster to copy into any pack that should be served
-	to a user requesting these objects. In practice this means
-	that the island specified should likely correspond to what is
-	the most commonly cloned in the repo. See also "DELTA ISLANDS"
-	in linkgit:git-pack-objects[1].
-
-pack.deltaCacheSize::
-	The maximum memory in bytes used for caching deltas in
-	linkgit:git-pack-objects[1] before writing them out to a pack.
-	This cache is used to speed up the writing object phase by not
-	having to recompute the final delta result once the best match
-	for all objects is found.  Repacking large repositories on machines
-	which are tight with memory might be badly impacted by this though,
-	especially if this cache pushes the system into swapping.
-	A value of 0 means no limit. The smallest size of 1 byte may be
-	used to virtually disable this cache. Defaults to 256 MiB.
-
-pack.deltaCacheLimit::
-	The maximum size of a delta, that is cached in
-	linkgit:git-pack-objects[1]. This cache is used to speed up the
-	writing object phase by not having to recompute the final delta
-	result once the best match for all objects is found.
-	Defaults to 1000. Maximum value is 65535.
-
-pack.threads::
-	Specifies the number of threads to spawn when searching for best
-	delta matches.  This requires that linkgit:git-pack-objects[1]
-	be compiled with pthreads otherwise this option is ignored with a
-	warning. This is meant to reduce packing time on multiprocessor
-	machines. The required amount of memory for the delta search window
-	is however multiplied by the number of threads.
-	Specifying 0 will cause Git to auto-detect the number of CPU's
-	and set the number of threads accordingly.
-
-pack.indexVersion::
-	Specify the default pack index version.  Valid values are 1 for
-	legacy pack index used by Git versions prior to 1.5.2, and 2 for
-	the new pack index with capabilities for packs larger than 4 GB
-	as well as proper protection against the repacking of corrupted
-	packs.  Version 2 is the default.  Note that version 2 is enforced
-	and this config option ignored whenever the corresponding pack is
-	larger than 2 GB.
-+
-If you have an old Git that does not understand the version 2 `*.idx` file,
-cloning or fetching over a non native protocol (e.g. "http")
-that will copy both `*.pack` file and corresponding `*.idx` file from the
-other side may give you a repository that cannot be accessed with your
-older version of Git. If the `*.pack` file is smaller than 2 GB, however,
-you can use linkgit:git-index-pack[1] on the *.pack file to regenerate
-the `*.idx` file.
-
-pack.packSizeLimit::
-	The maximum size of a pack.  This setting only affects
-	packing to a file when repacking, i.e. the git:// protocol
-	is unaffected.  It can be overridden by the `--max-pack-size`
-	option of linkgit:git-repack[1].  Reaching this limit results
-	in the creation of multiple packfiles; which in turn prevents
-	bitmaps from being created.
-	The minimum size allowed is limited to 1 MiB.
-	The default is unlimited.
-	Common unit suffixes of 'k', 'm', or 'g' are
-	supported.
-
-pack.useBitmaps::
-	When true, git will use pack bitmaps (if available) when packing
-	to stdout (e.g., during the server side of a fetch). Defaults to
-	true. You should not generally need to turn this off unless
-	you are debugging pack bitmaps.
-
-pack.writeBitmaps (deprecated)::
-	This is a deprecated synonym for `repack.writeBitmaps`.
-
-pack.writeBitmapHashCache::
-	When true, git will include a "hash cache" section in the bitmap
-	index (if one is written). This cache can be used to feed git's
-	delta heuristics, potentially leading to better deltas between
-	bitmapped and non-bitmapped objects (e.g., when serving a fetch
-	between an older, bitmapped pack and objects that have been
-	pushed since the last gc). The downside is that it consumes 4
-	bytes per object of disk space, and that JGit's bitmap
-	implementation does not understand it, causing it to complain if
-	Git and JGit are used on the same repository. Defaults to false.
+include::config/pack.txt[]
 
 pager.<cmd>::
 	If the value is boolean, turns on or off pagination of the
diff --git a/Documentation/config/pack.txt b/Documentation/config/pack.txt
new file mode 100644
index 0000000000..edac75c83f
--- /dev/null
+++ b/Documentation/config/pack.txt
@@ -0,0 +1,120 @@
+pack.window::
+	The size of the window used by linkgit:git-pack-objects[1] when no
+	window size is given on the command line. Defaults to 10.
+
+pack.depth::
+	The maximum delta depth used by linkgit:git-pack-objects[1] when no
+	maximum depth is given on the command line. Defaults to 50.
+	Maximum value is 4095.
+
+pack.windowMemory::
+	The maximum size of memory that is consumed by each thread
+	in linkgit:git-pack-objects[1] for pack window memory when
+	no limit is given on the command line.  The value can be
+	suffixed with "k", "m", or "g".  When left unconfigured (or
+	set explicitly to 0), there will be no limit.
+
+pack.compression::
+	An integer -1..9, indicating the compression level for objects
+	in a pack file. -1 is the zlib default. 0 means no
+	compression, and 1..9 are various speed/size tradeoffs, 9 being
+	slowest.  If not set,  defaults to core.compression.  If that is
+	not set,  defaults to -1, the zlib default, which is "a default
+	compromise between speed and compression (currently equivalent
+	to level 6)."
++
+Note that changing the compression level will not automatically recompress
+all existing objects. You can force recompression by passing the -F option
+to linkgit:git-repack[1].
+
+pack.island::
+	An extended regular expression configuring a set of delta
+	islands. See "DELTA ISLANDS" in linkgit:git-pack-objects[1]
+	for details.
+
+pack.islandCore::
+	Specify an island name which gets to have its objects be
+	packed first. This creates a kind of pseudo-pack at the front
+	of one pack, so that the objects from the specified island are
+	hopefully faster to copy into any pack that should be served
+	to a user requesting these objects. In practice this means
+	that the island specified should likely correspond to what is
+	the most commonly cloned in the repo. See also "DELTA ISLANDS"
+	in linkgit:git-pack-objects[1].
+
+pack.deltaCacheSize::
+	The maximum memory in bytes used for caching deltas in
+	linkgit:git-pack-objects[1] before writing them out to a pack.
+	This cache is used to speed up the writing object phase by not
+	having to recompute the final delta result once the best match
+	for all objects is found.  Repacking large repositories on machines
+	which are tight with memory might be badly impacted by this though,
+	especially if this cache pushes the system into swapping.
+	A value of 0 means no limit. The smallest size of 1 byte may be
+	used to virtually disable this cache. Defaults to 256 MiB.
+
+pack.deltaCacheLimit::
+	The maximum size of a delta, that is cached in
+	linkgit:git-pack-objects[1]. This cache is used to speed up the
+	writing object phase by not having to recompute the final delta
+	result once the best match for all objects is found.
+	Defaults to 1000. Maximum value is 65535.
+
+pack.threads::
+	Specifies the number of threads to spawn when searching for best
+	delta matches.  This requires that linkgit:git-pack-objects[1]
+	be compiled with pthreads otherwise this option is ignored with a
+	warning. This is meant to reduce packing time on multiprocessor
+	machines. The required amount of memory for the delta search window
+	is however multiplied by the number of threads.
+	Specifying 0 will cause Git to auto-detect the number of CPU's
+	and set the number of threads accordingly.
+
+pack.indexVersion::
+	Specify the default pack index version.  Valid values are 1 for
+	legacy pack index used by Git versions prior to 1.5.2, and 2 for
+	the new pack index with capabilities for packs larger than 4 GB
+	as well as proper protection against the repacking of corrupted
+	packs.  Version 2 is the default.  Note that version 2 is enforced
+	and this config option ignored whenever the corresponding pack is
+	larger than 2 GB.
++
+If you have an old Git that does not understand the version 2 `*.idx` file,
+cloning or fetching over a non native protocol (e.g. "http")
+that will copy both `*.pack` file and corresponding `*.idx` file from the
+other side may give you a repository that cannot be accessed with your
+older version of Git. If the `*.pack` file is smaller than 2 GB, however,
+you can use linkgit:git-index-pack[1] on the *.pack file to regenerate
+the `*.idx` file.
+
+pack.packSizeLimit::
+	The maximum size of a pack.  This setting only affects
+	packing to a file when repacking, i.e. the git:// protocol
+	is unaffected.  It can be overridden by the `--max-pack-size`
+	option of linkgit:git-repack[1].  Reaching this limit results
+	in the creation of multiple packfiles; which in turn prevents
+	bitmaps from being created.
+	The minimum size allowed is limited to 1 MiB.
+	The default is unlimited.
+	Common unit suffixes of 'k', 'm', or 'g' are
+	supported.
+
+pack.useBitmaps::
+	When true, git will use pack bitmaps (if available) when packing
+	to stdout (e.g., during the server side of a fetch). Defaults to
+	true. You should not generally need to turn this off unless
+	you are debugging pack bitmaps.
+
+pack.writeBitmaps (deprecated)::
+	This is a deprecated synonym for `repack.writeBitmaps`.
+
+pack.writeBitmapHashCache::
+	When true, git will include a "hash cache" section in the bitmap
+	index (if one is written). This cache can be used to feed git's
+	delta heuristics, potentially leading to better deltas between
+	bitmapped and non-bitmapped objects (e.g., when serving a fetch
+	between an older, bitmapped pack and objects that have been
+	pushed since the last gc). The downside is that it consumes 4
+	bytes per object of disk space, and that JGit's bitmap
+	implementation does not understand it, causing it to complain if
+	Git and JGit are used on the same repository. Defaults to false.
-- 
2.19.1.647.g708186aaf9