Subject: Re: t7405.17 breakage vanishes with GETTEXT_POISON=1

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 13:15:17 +0100

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 06:41:06AM +0100, Duy Nguyen wrote:
> Something fishy is going on but I don't think I'll spend time hunting
> it down so I post here in case somebody else is interested. It might
> also indicate a problem with poison gettext, not the test case too.

I haven't actually run the test under GETTEXT_POISON, but I stongly
suspect it's the test, or more accurately the helper function
'test_i18ngrep'.

The test in question runs

  test_i18ngrep ! "refusing to lose untracked file at" err

which fails in normal test runs, because 'grep' does find the
undesired string; that's the known breakage.  Under GETTEXT_POISION,
however, 'test_i18ngrep' always succeeds because of this condition:

  if test -n "$GETTEXT_POISON"
  then
          # pretend success
          return 0
  fi

and then in turn the whole test succeeds.