Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] index-pack: improve performance on NFS

From: Geert Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 22:55:24 +0000

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 07:27:39PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 08:36:07PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> >  * Re-roll my 4 patch series to include the patch you have in
> >    <[email-masked]>
> 
> I don't think it's quite ready for inclusion as-is. I hope to brush it
> up a bit, but I have quite a backlog of stuff to review, as well.

We're still quite keen to get this patch included. Is there anything I can do
to help?

Also I just re-read your comments on maximum cache size. I think you were
arguing both sides of the equation and I wasn't sure where you'd ended up. :)
A larger cache size potentially takes more time to fill up especially on NFS
while a smaller cache size obviously would less effective. That said a small
cache is still effective for the "clone" case where the repo is empty.

It also occurred to me that as a performance optimization your patch could read
the the loose object directories in parallel using a thread pool. At least on
Amazon EFS this should result in al almost linear performance increase. I'm not
sure how much this would help for local file systems. In any case this may be
best done as a follow-up patch (that I'd be happy to volunteer for).